Timeshift for Fedora with BTRFS

Hi,

I just recently joined the Fedora train and am very excited about it. As I am a developer of timeshift-autosnap and timeshift-autosnap-apt, I wanted to have the same functionality in Fedora 33. The idea is that when one runs a dnf update or upgrade command, timeshift should automatically create a btrfs snapshot. So basyically the same functionality of zsys in Ubuntu with ZFS, but with Timeshift.
The idea is, whether one likes it or not, Timeshift is quite popular in the Linux user space (and gets mentions on the Linux podcasts all the time). Having it work on Fedora with BTRFS would be quite an asset in my opinion, and make btrfs more user-friendly (as users can see in a GUI that snapshots happen instantenously). Anyways, Is there interest in the Fedora devel community here or is the development actually going another direction?

I am working on a fork of Timeshift (https://github.com/wmutschl/timeshift), where currently I hardcoded the BTRFS subvolume layout of Fedora 33 into Timeshift and it works as it should without renaming the subvolumes to @ and @home (which is also possible).
Now the next steps (in my opinion or maybe someone has better ideas) would be to:
1. Make an interface inside Timeshift to set the names of the BTRFS subvolumes and try to get it merged upstream.
2. Adapt timeshift-autosnap (or timeshift-autosnap-apt) for dnf (e.g. create a dnf plugin similar to the snapper plugin) that makes automatic snapshots before any DNF operation.
3. Add the autosnap functionality (of pacman, apt, and hopefully dnf) also into Timeshift and get it merged upstream.

Is that a feasible plan? Any feedback is very much appreciated!
Cheers,
Willi
---
https://mutschler.eu/linux