Re: Fedora 34 Change proposal: Remove and deprecate nscd in favour of sssd and systemd-resolved (Self-Contained Change)

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 7:41 AM Pavel Březina <pbrezina@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/5/20 1:58 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 6:39 AM Petr Menšík <pemensik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> No, no, NO again.
> >>
> >> nscd has no important active bugs in Fedora. I am not sure what bugs are
> >> mentioned, but just a few active bugs are on glibc component in Fedora.
> >> Therefore it seems just fine no commits are good.
> >>
> >> Just unlike systemd-resolved, which actively breaks some use cases. It
> >> changes resolution order of search directive in resolv.conf, breaks
> >> DNSSEC, breaks one label names resolution. It is famous among DNS
> >> community [1].
> >
> > sssd also breaks other LDAP setups, It's extremely broken with larger
> > LDAP setups because it insists on caching *ALL* of the LDAP, barring
> > being able to filter to only a smaller set of the LDAP. But because so
> > many LDAP setups scatter group and user information in so many
> > distinct parts of the LDAP layout, this never works and it *ALWAYS*
> > times out in large, remot4e LDAP setups. It works for a few seconds at
> > start time, then crashes and takes out *all* sssd based services.
>
> SSSD only stores required data, i.e. requested users, groups or whatever
> unless you set enumerate=true which is explicitly stated as "not
> recommended" in SSSD manual pages.

Unless it's been heavily modified, it pre-caches *EVERYTHING* from
LDAP by default. It's possible to limit the sssd.conf to restricted
groups or users in specific LDAP ou's, but the larger the company, the
more likely the necessary ou's for relevant users and groups are
likely to be in very large, scattered ou's throughout the LDAP layout,
and the result is excessive caching and unavoidable timeouts. Been
there, done that, about 24 months ago.

> > The sophisticated setups available by hand-editing sssd are also
> > *inevitably* overwritten by any use of the 'authconfig' command, which
> > is used by various RPM '%post' operations. sssd's configuration
>
> Authconfig used to only override domain named "default" which was
> created by authconfig and it only touched a specific set of options that
> were requested by authconfig arguments. Also users usually don't name
> their domain as "default" so I don't deem this a valid point.
> Furthermore, real authconfig is not around since Fedora 28 and the
> wrapper around authselect touches only a configuration snippet.

authconfig doesn't clean up. It has no *options* to clean up. And at
last look, it blew away the hand-tuning of sssd.conf. to restrict the
LDAP caching to more finely tuned ou's. It was not my friend. Last
time, I threw it the !@#$ out in plain old LDAP and Kerberos setups
for a much more robust and industry capable setup.