Recompiling Packages with Optimization Flags

Forgive me if this is the wrong spot to ask.

I'm doing some CPU intensive work, and I'd like to optimize a few packages.  Even if it's only a 5% gain, it will add up over many hours/days of continuous runtime.

Back in the day, I could recompile a package like this:

rpmbuild --rebuild --target=pentium3 package.srpm

And it would produce a package with source compiled using -march=pentium3.

That doesn't appear to be the case anymore for a couple of reasons:

1) /usr/lib/rpm/platform has only the generic x86_64, causing rpm macros for more specific microarchitectures, like znver2, to fail.

2) Some configure/make scripts incorrectly recognize "znver2" as a request for a cross-compiler, and exit the build with an error.

3) Some rpm spec files appear to use the x86_64 architecture as a test for 64-bit capable, so providing a more specific microarchitecture, like znver2, actually disables 64-bit extensions in those packages.

Is there a way to pass '-march=znver2' to the compiler from rpmbuild?  Or are these all bugs that have crept in over the years?

Thanks for your help.

Joseph D. Wagner