Re: making download of filelists.xml(.zck) trigger on demand

Dne 01. 11. 20 v 11:58 clime napsal(a):
Hello!

First of all, I don't really know what I am talking about here but I
noticed the `dnf update` operation downloads among other things
`filelists.xml` (optionally compressed by zchunk, thanks Jonathan
Dieter!!!) and I remember there was a thread on devel mailing quite
some time ago by Zbyszek from which I understood this data is only
needed when filesystem paths are used as package requirements or when
a fs path is specified as direct argument to `dnf install`.

This was the case for Yum, but have never the case for DNF since its beginning. I think there were some reasons, such as that the solver in case it finds it needs them would need to stop, download the data and start from beginning. Other reason could be that nobody optimized it yet.

Anyway, I guess you'll find more info in Bugzilla.

V.

  Could we
then, please, trigger download of this file only if and when needed
and not sooner? It seems to take more than half of the total download
size e.g. for fedora-32-updates repo so it could improve repodata
download times quite significantly. Again, I don't really know what I
am talking about here but this came to my mind recently so I wanted to
write it down just in case it would be possible :).

Thank you very much
clime