Retiring ntp

I think we should consider retiring the ntp package. The upstream
project is not in a good shape and it doesn't seem to be improving.
Contributors left long time ago. The development is slow and happens
behind closed doors. They still use bitkeeper.

The main problem is that they don't fix all known security issues. In
the CVE list I see about 10 issues that were not fixed at all or only
partially, some exploitable in default configuration. This was one of
the reasons why we dropped it from RHEL.

I'm not sure how many users of ntp are there. As a replacement, we
could package ntpsec. It is an actively maintained fork of ntp which
has removed a lot of code and fixed or avoided most of the issues in
ntp. What I don't like much about it is that they kept the mode-6
protocol of NTP, which allows traffic amplification and is still
causing problems on Internet, but I think the code and the project are
definitely in a better shape than ntp. I can help with the packaging
or review, and as a comaintainer if there is a volunteer for the
role of the primary maintainer.

In Fedora, there seems to be only one package that has a dependency on
ntp: nagios-plugins-ntp-perl. It's a monitoring plugin using the
problematic mode-6 protocol. It should work with ntpsec.

Thoughts?

--
Miroslav Lichvar