Re: youtube-dl Copyright Violations

On 26/10/2020 10:53, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
> On 25.10.2020 22:47, Leigh Scott wrote:
>> https://github.com/github/dmca/blob/master/2020/10/2020-10-23-RIAA.md
>
> Self-censorship is the worst thing in the world. We shouldn't do
> anything with this.

I've recently made some suggestions about using IPFS as part of the
packaging workflow[1]

Fedora could then publish a list of banned RPMs by IPFS hash.  People
can use that list to filter what they install on their system if it is
applicable to them.

For example, the RIAA could volunteer to maintain a list of all banned
packages, they could even publish that list in IPFS too.

To give an example of how that might be relevant in this case:

- the source code appears in IPFS (they even have instructions to
push[2] a Git repo into IPFS), this creates one of the hashes for RIAA
to put on their blacklist, then they don't have to make a huge list of
forks like they have in the takedown notice

- somebody else creates a spec file as another object in IPFS

- somebody creates an SRPM, that is in IPFS too

- somebody creates and signs binary RPMs, putting them in IPFS

- the hashes for all these things are tracked centrally

Regards,

Daniel

1. https://danielpocock.com/distributed-packaging-workflow/
2. https://docs.ipfs.io/how-to/host-git-style-repo/