Re: [ELN] gcc is going to be updated to gcc11 in the ELN buildroot ahead of Rawhide

Hi!

On Thursday, 22 October 2020 at 14:27, Aleksandra Fedorova wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> this is the informational message, no action required.
>
> Upon agreement between gcc maintainers and ELN SIG we would like to
> switch ELN buildroot to use GCC11 ahead of Fedora Rawhide.

Was this discussed publicly anywhere? How is using ELN buildroot better
than doing this in rawhide directly or in COPR?

> Though ELN is defined as the buildroot where Fedora Rawhide code is
> rebuilt into EL-like environment, in the ELN proposal we also
> mentioned that ELN can be used to test certain buildroot-related
> features on the side so it doesn't block Fedora Rawhide development.
>
> We think that GCC11 is one such feature, where we can benefit from
> testing it first on a small subset of the Fedora content in a separate
> environment.

Is the size of the package set the only concern? The a side-tag and
limited rebuild of rawhide would achieve the same.

> We would like to invite everyone to join this effort.

How? https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/eln/sig/#_how_to_join
says "TBA".

> The work is currently tracked on Github:
> https://github.com/fedora-eln/eln/issues/8

Not much there yet. Why are we using non-free services for Fedora work
again?

> Once GCC11 is merged to the eln tag in koji, one would be able to use
> it via, for example, mock or container environment:
> quay.io/fedoraci/fedora:eln-x86_64

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/eln/buildroot/#building
still says mock configuration is unsupported.

> For more info on ELN please refer to ELN Docs (as soon as I update
> them, which hopefully happens later today):
>
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/eln/

Please do.

Regards,
Dominik