Re: The future of legacy BIOS support in Fedora.

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 12:47:55PM -0400, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> The issue is that while 'moore's' law was no longer doubling every 18months
> it was still working and tasks had to be rewritten to work with more
> cores/threads/etc. As that happened the software's need for more CPU power
> has increased to the point were a 10+ year computer isn't very useful for
> 'modern' software (browser and various applications).

I'm curious what are the various applications.

Web browsers gained multi-threading because they expelled plugins and started
bundling everything what used to be part of a desktop (namely processing audio
and video). As far as I know JavaScript environment is still single-threaded.

Video players can offload decoding to graphics cards if needed. (Although in
my part of world a 10-year-old CPU is enough because you rarely get something
more demanding than 720p H.264.)

In my opinion what became slugish (besides web browsers) are desktop
environments that "accelerated" GUI by a move to OpenGL and JavaScript.
A typical examples are login managers. GDM actually loads full Gnome, thus GDM
consumes 500 MB of memory and after logging in Gnome shell for user's session
takes another 500 MB. SDDM becomes insanely graphics-demanding. The QML
backend first started polling old Intel VGAs, then spits flickering artifacts
on old Radeons. Regarding feature-parity it completely looses to KDM (no XDM,
broken PAM with non-password authentication mechisms, it even became a blocker
for F33).

> Instead if you want to have something work on a 2012 system well.. just use
> software from 2012.

With security bugs from 2012. No thanks.

-- Petr