Re: Removing unsupported AUTH_DES interfaces in libtirpc.

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 01:21:35PM -0400, Steve Dickson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> About a year ago I stub out the interfaces
> and had them return an error if called.
> No one has complained...
>
> This time I would like to remove interfaces
> so there will be no support whatsoever to
> pass some upcoming audits...

If the internal encryption impl is removed, then any audit should
already pass.

> This means I will need to change the SONAME for
> libtirpc which will effect a large other packages.
>
> The last time I did this all hell broke out so
> I'm trying to avoid that this time.
>
> So can someone please point me to the correct
> way to change a SONAME without cause total chaos

Simply don't change it.  There is no serious harm in having APIs exposed
in the library that are no-op stubs always returning an error.

You can remove the functions from the header files so that future apps
will fail to build, while leaving the APIs in the library so that existing
linked apps do not break.

Regards,
Daniel