Re: Removing unsupported AUTH_DES interfaces in libtirpc.

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 01:21:35PM -0400, Steve Dickson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> About a year ago I stub out the interfaces
> and had them return an error if called.
> No one has complained...
>
> This time I would like to remove interfaces
> so there will be no support whatsoever to
> pass some upcoming audits...

Hi,

there are three semi-independent ways how to remove an interface:
1. functional stubbing out (which you said is already done)
2. removal of the function from headers
3. removal of the function from ABI and the resulting required SONAME change

(1. affects programs that use the function at runtime. 2. affects programs
which use the function during compilation. 3. affects all programs that
use the library.)

Part 1. is already done, and we are discussing 3.:

IMHO the best option is not to this at all. SONAME changes in
libraries low in the stack are simply quite problematic. It is OK for
leaf libraries with a limited number of users, but even there barely
so. While we can rebuild distro packages, user programs will still
require relinking, making users angry.

What about just doing 2. instead, so that we can make certain that
*new* builds are not trying to use those functions.

glibc doesn't change SONAME, libsystemd doesn't change SONAME, etc.
We have symbol versioning, which allows precise dependencies on
specific symbols. Use that instead, just never remove any symbols, but
only add new ones. Symbol versioning is nicely integrated with rpm dependency
autogenerators, so packages get granular dependencies on the specific
symbols they use.

Returning to the original question: if you absolutely must do an
incompatible SONAME, then please provide a compat package with the old
SONAME. Maybe it could even be built from the same sources.

But it seems that the only motivation in this particular case is legal
pretend-work (since the functions were already stubbed out, just
removing the stub has no functional effect except ticking off a box
somewhere). That just doesn't seem like a good enough motivation to go
through the work for both packagers and users.

> This means I will need to change the SONAME for
> libtirpc which will effect a large other packages.

Zbyszek