Re: Thunderbird with mail.corp.redhat.com does not work on Fedora 33

On 01. 10. 20 7:50, Lumír Balhar wrote:
Hello.

I've upgraded to Fedora 33 beta and I've discovered a problem with Thunderbird. All email accounts work well except the Red Hat one with mail.corp.redhat.com as an IMAP server (I use Zimbra servers not Gmail).

The problem is that Thunderbird does not show any error message but it's not able to communicate with the IMAP server. I'm not able to receive any message from the server. I'm able to send a message but a copy is then not saved to sent folder for the same reason. My first thought was that the problem is caused by a downgrade from 68.11 to 68.10 because Thunderbird currently FTBFS in Fedora 33 but it does not seem to be so. I've also tried to remove the account and add it back but it did not help because I was no longer able to log in to my account without any particular error message. I've also tried to delete the server's certificates.

The problem seems to be caused by strict crypto policies in Fedora 33 and too small DH key provided by the server.

$ update-crypto-policies --show
DEFAULT

$ openssl s_client -showcerts -connect mail.corp.redhat.com:993 -servername mail.corp.redhat.com
CONNECTED(00000003)
depth=3 C = US, ST = North Carolina, L = Raleigh, O = "Red Hat, Inc.", OU = Red Hat IT, CN = Red Hat IT Root CA, emailAddress = infosec@xxxxxxxxxx
verify return:1
depth=2 O = Red Hat, OU = prod, CN = Intermediate Certificate Authority
verify return:1
depth=1 O = Red Hat, OU = prod, CN = Certificate Authority
verify return:1
depth=0 C = US, ST = North Carolina, L = Raleigh, O = Red Hat, OU = Information Technology, emailAddress = servicedesk@xxxxxxxxxx, CN = mail.corp.redhat.com
verify return:1
139893557032768:error:141A318A:SSL routines:tls_process_ske_dhe:dh key too small:ssl/statem/statem_clnt.c:2149:
---

$ sudo update-crypto-policies --set LEGACY
Setting system policy to LEGACY
Note: System-wide crypto policies are applied on application start-up.
It is recommended to restart the system for the change of policies
to fully take place.

openssl s_client -showcerts -connect mail.corp.redhat.com:993 -servername mail.corp.redhat.com
CONNECTED(00000003)
depth=3 C = US, ST = North Carolina, L = Raleigh, O = "Red Hat, Inc.", OU = Red Hat IT, CN = Red Hat IT Root CA, emailAddress = infosec@xxxxxxxxxx
verify return:1
depth=2 O = Red Hat, OU = prod, CN = Intermediate Certificate Authority
verify return:1
depth=1 O = Red Hat, OU = prod, CN = Certificate Authority
verify return:1
depth=0 C = US, ST = North Carolina, L = Raleigh, O = Red Hat, OU = Information Technology, emailAddress = servicedesk@xxxxxxxxxx, CN = mail.corp.redhat.com
verify return:1
---
... <certificates chain> ...
---
* OK IMAP4 ready

As you can see above, the DH key provided by the server is too small so the SSL verification fails. Setting the crypto policies to LEGACY solves the issue for me and I am again able to recreate my Red Hat account in Thunderbird.

Hope this helps. I'm going to report this problem to service desk.

For the record: Not sure if this was fixed on server side or some polices have changed, however I have not needed to apply the workaround, my email works out of the box after the upgrade.

--
Miro Hrončok