Re: our containers with alias vim=vi

On 13/10/20 10:53 +0200, Zdenek Dohnal wrote:
On 10/12/20 9:34 PM, clime wrote:
On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 at 07:39, Zdenek Dohnal <zdohnal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/10/20 2:37 PM, clime wrote:
Hello,

could Fedora and CentOS containers for docker and podman come with
`alias vim=vi` in ~/.bashrc?

I would very much welcome it as I am used to type vim everywhere but
if vi starts instead I am happy too. I know that the solution is to
create a customized container but often I want to try something on
vanilla containers from the whole range.
IMHO it is not a good idea. Some users which don't have to know the
problem can run 'vi' while thinking they run 'vim' and be surprised that
most 'Vim' features don't work and they will file a bug tickets, which
will be irrelevant, consuming reporter's&maintainer's time.
well, it would be good if vim itself display in which mode it runs. So then
if I run "vim", I get "vi", i will know, ok, i got only the stripped
down version
because i am in a container and the "extension" is not yet installed.
I'm not sure if this can be done within Vim as app, but I'm checking if
I cannot do some bash magic to achieve this.

I would very much appreciate it as a user (about 16 years) of the great vim.

Usually in a vanilla container, i just want to run an editor quickly
to look at a file or
quickly edit something - i don't really care about user experience
because if I did,
I would already customized the container.
I understand your point of view, it is really annoying for people who
know the problem, although as a maintainer I must be cautious about
generic/default settings because it influences all users, not just
container's users.

And yet /etc/profile.d/vim.sh will happily stomp on my own shell
functions or self-installed 'vi' executables :-)

This isn't a problem for me in practice, because I don't have any
functions or self-installed 'vi' commands. I just find it inconsistent
that the existing script doesn't use the same caution.