Re: F34 Change proposal: DNS Over TLS (System-Wide Change)

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020, Petr Menšík wrote:

I would like to request pausing any new systemd-resolved features
system-wide, until its current bugs and deficiencies are resolved
sufficiently.

I agree for two reasons. One, the FESCO decision to postpone making
systemd-resolvd the default resolver. I would like to ensure this
change happens properly and securely for f34. I am still trying to
use this setup on my f33 with DNSSEC enabled for systemd-resolved,
and do still seem to have issues that I'm going through to see if
these are related to DNS or not. I feel we should have this working
solidly first, before we are adding more options and features into
the mix.

Second, we really need any DNS-over-TLS to not break DNSSEC. If we are
going to outsource validation to a remote endpoint via DNS-over-TLS,
instead of using the local resolver or the local ISP resolver, then
data authenticity becomes eveb more important. And DNS-over-TLS only
provides transport security, not data origin authenticity.

Paul