Re: Orphaning openbabel

On Mon, Oct 05, 2020 at 01:53:03AM +0200, Alexander Ploumistos wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've finally managed to find some time and get the latest Open Babel
> snapshot to build in F32 and rawhide. The spec file is ugly with a
> bunch of comments still in it and I've realized that documentation
> upstream is lacking, especially concerning build options and bindings.
> So far, I've enabled only the python bindings and I'm not sure what
> else is still available. There's also an icon file missing, but that's
> the least of our problems.
> If anyone's interested in taking a look, here's a scratch build:
> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=52775710
> I've also set up a copr, where things are still building, though eln
> builds died almost instantly on all arches and the F32 armhfp builder
> ran out of space:
> https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/alexpl/openbabel/
>
> Going forward, there's a number of things we need to figure out, off
> the top of my head:
> - I suppose I could take over from Dominik (with the hope that not
> many things will break down in the following year) the packages in
> Fedora, but not EPEL and friends. Who wants to do that?
> - Has any of the maintainers of dependent packages that are dead-ish
> upstream looked at porting them to OB 3?
> - Do we create a new package, openbabel3, or do we rename the existing
> one openbabel2? How do we deal with the complications of having both
> of them around, especially since most of the binaries have the same
> name?
>
> There were many more things in my head when I started writing this
> message, but they've somehow evaporated. I'm off to bed, please feel
> free to chime in.

I think it makes sense to add a new 'openbabel3' package. Like Kevin wrote
in the other mail, it seems likely that some packages will depend on
the old version for the foreseeable future. Python recently switched
to a theme where it the "main" package has a number in the version [1].
This works nicely when there are multiple incompatible versions...

(One alternative would be to rename openbabel→openbabel2, and use
openbabel for the new version. But this requires an extra rename
operation and potentially adjustments in all dependent packages. Seems
like a lot of busywork, with potential for blocking if some dependent
package FTBFS.)

> How do we deal with the complications of having both
> of them around, especially since most of the binaries have the same
> name?

Explicit Conflicts? Unless there's a strong need to install packages
in parallel, that seems like the easiest option.

Zbyszek

[1] https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/python3.9