Re: Fedora 34 Change proposal: Reduce installation media size by eliminating the intermediate EXT4 filesystem in the SquashFS (Self-Contained Change)

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 9:10 AM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> == How To Test ==
> The change could be tested by booting ISO images from the compose
> below. Regular Fedora test suite should be sufficient to verify this
> change.
> [https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/compose/rawhide/Fedora-Rawhide-20200925.n.0/compose/Server/x86_64/iso/
> Fedora-Rawhide-20200925.n.0]
>
> Results of testing could be compared with images without this change:
> [https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/compose/rawhide/Fedora-Rawhide-20200924.n.0/compose/Server/x86_64/iso/
> Fedora-Rawhide-20200924.n.0]

The server images' primary payload are the RPMs, directly on ISO 9660.
They're not inside the squashfs image, so installation times aren't
going to be affected by the change. I see about a 1% reduction in
image size, and 3% increase in boot time for the Server image. The
boot time is based on qemu-kvm and SSD, and using systemd-analyze
total time.

The Workstation Live image however contains the entire payload in the
squashfs image. The effect of compression will matter to installation
times more. But the 20200925 Workstation Live image doesn't contain
the change, so I can't test it to compare.

Further, Server installations benefit from RPM's using zstd
compression, whereas Workstation installs use xz compression with a
correspondingly higher CPU hit.

--
Chris Murphy