Re: Fedora 32/33 livedisks do not boot on M$ system(s)

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 3:42 PM Marius Schwarz <fedoradev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 30.09.20 um 23:00 schrieb Chris Murphy:
> >

> > And then these are current
> > grub2-efi-x64-2.04-31.fc33.x86_64
> > grub2-efi-x64-2.04-23.fc32.x86_64
> > grub2-efi-x64-2.02-110.fc31.x86_64
> >
> > I wonder if the affected hardware is adversely affected by all three
> > of these versions of GRUB?
> >

> I made some more tests. It's a race, 1 out of 10 tries succeeds and the
> chance that it does is improoved by inserting the usb drive while being
> in the bios.
>
> The F31 grub files i exchanged do not seem to have something to do with it.

The race happens with the same probability regardless of GRUB Fedora
release version?

> Could it be a timing issue of some kind?
>
> the sooner i hit the boot from usb button, after the stick got inserted,
> the higher is the propability to start.
>
> I think we can rule out signing here as the surface is in none secure
> boot mode and it starts ( screenshot available).
>
> So what else could cause this?

Sounds like a firmware bug. I wonder if it's strictly USB related or
if it's at all triggered by the isohybrid nature of our ISOs - maybe
it's more or less likely to happen if the USB stick were created using
livecd-iso-to-disk with '--format --efi' options and allow it to blow
away the entire USB stick.

--
Chris Murphy