Re: init 5 does not restart NetworkManager

On 9/28/20 6:52 AM, qmail wrote:
at an init 3 stance, which has NetworkManager active, i start an init 5.
when all is said and done, NetworkManager has been deactivated, IE not restarted bec of the settings in NetworkManager.service .

So I have to manually restart NetworkManager.

  Why is this so?

Changing init levels doesn't restart the services. It only starts or stops them to get to the new state. If NetworkManager is stopped, then for some reason it has been specified to be stopped in that run level. Nnumeric levels are deprecated though, you should be using "systemctl isolate" instead. I don't know how the numbers are matched to targets now.

# systemctl list-dependencies --reverse NetworkManager
NetworkManager.service
● ├─NetworkManager-wait-online.service
● └─multi-user.target
●   └─graphical.target