Re: F34 Change proposal: Debug Info Standardization (from DWZ to -fdebug-types-section) (System-Wide Change proposal)

Jan Kratochvil wrote on Thu, Sep 24, 2020:
> > That talk doesn't load for me, sorry if I ask something answered in
> > there.
>
> I have added a title there now but the URL loads for me even in lynx+wget.

Yeah sorry it finally loaded after 10+ minutes, that was weird.

> Copy-pasted it at the bottom of this mail. I do not know the talk but TL;DR
> existing DWARF contains some dead DIEs - unused/deduplicated functions and also
> -fdebug-types-section declarations/skeletons which can be removed or converted
> to direct DIE references respectively. That way one could reduce the size like
> DWZ does but without needing any new complicated support in DWARF consumers.

Ok, avoiding duplicate data makes sense there is quite a lot in there.

> That is orthogonal - that is one can add it to DWZ or -fdebug-types-section
> the same way. It would be for another Fedora Change proposal but I do not
> think it matters for F-33 as it already implements:
> 	https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/BtrfsByDefault#Compression

Good point. I did think of rpm size (double compression doesn't work
well and rpms use better compression than zlib) but not filesystem
compression.
Everyone won't benefit from that right away but I guess it makes sense.

> I haven't yet checked whether that applies to /usr/lib/debug/ by default.
> btrfs is using zstd which has better performance than zlib. I was considering
> adding an ELF section compression extension for zstd but with btrfs
> transparent compression that looks as not useful.

I don't have very much there but it does work well:
# compsize  /usr/lib/debug/
Processed 720 files, 2232 regular extents (2239 refs), 1 inline.
Type       Perc     Disk Usage   Uncompressed Referenced
TOTAL       32%       74M         229M         230M
none       100%      644K         644K         644K
zstd        32%       73M         229M         229M

> That 3.3% size reduction=advantage of DWZ against -fdebug-types-section is
> calculated for *-debuginfo.rpm (3.3% is for the whole distribution incl.
> binaries, for debug/ itself it is 6.35%). Also it is calculated for DWARF-4,
> F-34 will hopefully switch to DWARF-5 (which is smaller by 10-20%) but DWZ is
> not yet ported to DWARF-5 so it is impossible to compare -fdebug-types-section
> vs. DWZ size for DWARF-5.

Ok.
That definitely makes more sense to me, thanks for clarifying this.

--
Dominique