Re: Lenovo P1G2 and P53 web sales updates

On to, 24 syys 2020, Mark Pearson wrote:
Hi Fedora community,

Just wanted to drop a note to the community as I'm sure you're wondering where the P1G2 and P53 are with the web sales. It's been a frustrating experience and we've been working past issue after issue for weeks but it looks like we hit the wall today.

One of the major issues we've been fighting with the web sales is the lack of inventory. Covid (whilst also adding delays to the whole project) hit our supply chains and whilst I don't understand all the details the summary is we don't have enough components left to put these systems up on the web. You may have noticed the Windows systems have been pulled - this is not Linux specific.

We have looked at instead of doing full configuration as planned if we could put up a few fixed configurations instead and at least get something up for the short term but it seems that even that is not possible with the stock we have.

I know John Trapasso (who joined me at Nest) is still looking into other options. We believe we can make it so systems can be ordered by calling the phone support line - there they line are able to identify exactly which components are available and build the system with the Linux option. But it's not the same as having them up online and generally available as we'd planned for and wanted which is massively disappointing.

My sincere and complete apologies to the community. From my point of view it sucks as so much work and effort went into getting these platforms ready. Whilst I've learnt a lot about Lenovo process for the future platforms the key lesson (which with hindsight should have been obvious) is that trying to release something new towards the end of its lifecycle is a bad idea.....I just wish someone had told me that back in February (there are so many things I wish I knew about in February but that's another story).

We have prioritized getting the P1G3 and the P15 (successor to the P53) done with Fedora - those are entering test very shortly and fingers, legs and eyes are crossed for a smooth passage. I've been using the P1G3 with Fedora33 preview and it's looking good. I can't give a date yet but we're moving as fast as we can on them.

I've seen some really positive reviews for the Fedora experience on the X1 Carbon 8 - I'm so glad that is up successfully and seems to be doing well. We are working on getting that out to the worldwide sites.

Do let me know any questions. Once again I apologise to all those who helped us on the way - the next round will go smoother.

Thank you for the update. Any news when the global availability of the
Linux login portal would actually happen? So far, the Linux portal is
only on US website...

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Sr. Principal Software Engineer