Re: btrfs / booting alternative OS versions from subvolumes

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 5:48 AM Daniel Pocock <daniel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I noticed another thread about subvolumes already exists, I'm starting
> this one for the very specific topic of installing multiple root
> filesystems as subvolumes
>
> Examples: Fedora 33 in one subvolume, Fedora rawhide in another
> subvolume, Fedora 33 32-bit in another subvolume, maybe RHEL in a
> subvolume too
>
> Can this be supported by the installer?
>
> Can it be supported by grub?
>
> If somebody installs their OS to the top level of their btrfs today, can
> they pivot that into a subvolume later?
>
> All these OS installs would shared some things like /home

If all the operating systems support working with the same grub and
support Btrfs with the features enabled in the filesystem, yes.

The only known issue I'm aware of is that Fedora 33 GRUB cannot boot
Fedora 32 or RHEL 8 because the bootloader spec implementation changed
and it no longer supports variables inside of file snippets.

(Obviously, I'm ignoring the fact that RHEL 8 doesn't support Btrfs normally...)