Re: btrfs and default page sizes (4k vs 64k)

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 09:31:50AM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> On 9/15/20 7:29 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:

> >> Ewww! That alone should disqualify btrfs as a default file system!
> >>
> >> Why does a file system depend on the kernel page size? The kernel page size
> >> is an internal implementation detail of the kernel, whereas a file system
> >> ought to be a stable interchange format that is compatible across all
> >> machines.
> >>
> >> It is unfortunate that this showstopper was not mentioned when the switch to
> >> btrfs by default was proposed.
>
> I'm not sure that it would have been deemed any more important than other
> concerns which were raised at the time, TBH.
>
> > I hate to break it to you, but this problem is not just in
> > filesystems, it's in basically everything in the kernel. And we've had
> > variations of problems like this for years (endianness, page size,
> > pointer size, single bit vs multi-bit booleans, etc.). I've personally
> > been bitten by all of these issues in some way. This comes from the
> > fact that there's no such thing as "internal implementation detail of
> > the kernel" by design. This is the "joy" of the monorepo "design"
> > where everything leaks into everything else.
>
> That's simply not accurate.  Handling 32/64 bit interfaces, endianness, etc
> are long-solved problems.  Longstanding lack of design or support for
> sub-page block support in a filesystem is not /at all/ the same thing.
>
> Are there occasional endianness bugs, pointer size bugs, etc?  Sure.
> But that's different from "We did not design this."
>
> > This didn't become a serious problem until Red Hat made the
> > unfortunate (though not realized at the time) mistake of switching to
> > 64k pages for ARM and POWER. We got that change in Fedora for POWER
> > but not ARM. It has led to all kinds of unfortunate problems that are
> > gradually being worked on and fixed upstream.
>
> Sub-page block support in filesystems is not a wild, esoteric, unexpected
> feature.

These kinds of problems are not really that rare across different
Filesystems.

Try creating a XFS fs on a system with 64k PAGE_SIZE and a blocksize of
64k, then try mounting that fs on a x86_64 machine. It won't work:
https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.8/source/fs/xfs/xfs_mount.c#L165
And IIRC xfs is the default for RHEL, no?

--
Best Regards, Benjamin Block  / Linux on IBM Z Kernel Development / IBM Systems
IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH    /    https://www.ibm.com/privacy