Re: F34 Change Proposal: Rust Crate Packages For Release Branches (System-Wide Change)

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 09:15:27PM +0200, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 9:02 PM Josh Stone <jistone@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On 9/14/20 11:40 AM, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> > > I agree. The only thing to keep in mind for semver-incompatible -devel
> > > package updates is to check dependent packages, and either patch them
> > > to use the new version (like in rawhide), or create compat packages if
> > > necessary - so no broken dependencies are generated in the stable
> > > branches.
> >
> > Are we going to recommend that these devel packages are still not really
> > for end users? Otherwise, checking dependent packages is not sufficient.

I don't think those packages make sense for users. As a user I would use cargo
and download packages from the web.

> Is there - or will there be - any use case for manually installing
> rust-*-devel packages outside of mock?
> If not, then I don't see a reason why this would change.

I guess as a developer of a package I could build this package in the
normal system, not in mock. 'fedpkg local' is very quick and it makes debugging
(both of the code and of the spec file) simpler.

Zbyszek