Re: Proposing an EPEL packaging SIG

Dne 14. 09. 20 v 10:11 Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek napsal(a):
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 09:50:45AM +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
>> Reading this proposal and with the EPEL8 experience, where there was not
>> even wiki page, where I could state that I don't care about EPEL and I
>> had to reply into every BZ independently, wouldn't it make sense to move
>> EPEL into its own dist-git namespace?
>>
>> I guess that in the CVS days, having EPEL branch was fine. During PkgDB
>> days, where we could assign maintainer to each branch, it was still
>> fine. But since we lost this ability, isn't it time to rethink the
>> setup?
> We have the ability back, see the answers from Neal Gompa.

Well, yes, right. But apparently, it is not fully working. E.g. looking
at Ruby [1], it says I am EPEL maintainer while there is certainly not
EPEL branch. Also, there might be EPEL maintainer (actually Pagure lists
just BZ assignee), but I am not sure if they are listed between
"members" or not. I cannot set my preferred default. So there is still
lot to desire.

>From this POV, the separate namespace could have more advantages.

>> I think this would give more power to EPEL SIG and give relieve
>> to Fedora packagers.
> What you are saying would make sense if there was only the EPEL SIG.
> But we also have plenty of packagers who do care about their EPEL packages,

Do we know the ratio? I am not saying that we don't but I don't see
"plenty" to be anything we should base any decision.

> and they would be inconvenienced by such a split. It seems that there
> are even people who like to keep one spec file for all branches, incl.
> EPEL.

People still might have locally one repository with two remotes, so I
probably missing what is the point here. Having to pull EPEL branch or
not is also difference, but I don't see we should adding this into equation.

Vít

[1] https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/ruby