Re: Manual intervention required: broken /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/resolv.conf for F33 early adopters

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 9:23 AM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 11:09 am, Mikhail Gavrilov
> <mikhail.v.gavrilov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > # authselect apply-changes
> > [error] [/etc/authselect/nsswitch.conf] has unexpected content!
> > [error] Unexpected changes to the configuration were detected.
> > [error] Refusing to activate profile unless those changes are removed
> > or overwrite is requested.
> > Some unexpected changes to the configuration were detected. Use
> > 'select' command instead.
>
> Did you edit /etc/nsswitch.conf or /etc/authselect/nsswitch.conf
> manually without using authselect? If so, that was your mistake. But if
> not, and if you can figure out how to reproduce this condition from a
> fresh install, then it must be a Fedora bug that needs to be reported.

# dnf provides /etc/authselect/nsswitch.conf
Error: No Matches found

# dnf provides /etc/nsswitch.conf
glibc-2.32-1.fc33.x86_64 : The GNU libc libraries

I made the huge mistake of hand editing /etc/nsswitch.conf while
testing some of this, and that change instantly metastasized. I could
not undo it. Reinstalling glibc didn't fix it. And it busted
networking in a way I couldn't fix without a rollback of system root
to two weeks prior.

Regardless of how or why these files can get messed up, that it isn't
easily repairable or resettable to defaults is a much bigger risk than
any bugs. Of course the user should not be stubborn (cmurf raises
hand, points at himself), and there should be no bugs, but they're
still gonna happen! Even a 9 step reset recipe is better than just
being screwed.

--
Chris Murphy