Re: noarch packages only for some architecture composes

On Tuesday, 08 September 2020 at 23:55, Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:
> On Mon, 2020-09-07 at 13:15 +0200, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 1:02 PM Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> > > Is it possible to include a noarch package only in some of the
> > > composes?

> > I don't think this is possible, and since I consider this to be a
> > bug, I reported this a while ago:
> >
> > koji#1843: noarch packages getting copied to repos explicitly
> > excluded in ExclusiveArch
> > https://pagure.io/koji/issue/1843
> >
> Huh, yeah, this seems to contradict what the packaging guidelines say:
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#_arch_specific_runtime_and_build_time_dependencies
>
> I accidentally am relying on this bug for emacs-slime: it is noarch and
> should work on all platforms, but the tests currently rely on SBCL so I
> added an exclusivearch matching SBCL's (to prevent build-time roulette
> of builds failing if the wrong arch is picked).
>
> If this bug is fixed, we'd then have no solution for this "package
> should work the same everywhere, but can only be tested on some
> platforms"... (I doubt it affects many packages though)

One solution would be to name the main package "slime" and make it
archful and have it produce only one noarch subpackage called
"emacs-slime" (%package -n emacs-slime). See utf8cpp for an example
of how it can be done:
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/utf8cpp/blob/master/f/utf8cpp.spec
utf8cpp is a header-only devel package, but I wanted to run its
testsuite on all arches.

Regards,
Dominik
--