Re: F34 Change proposal: Wayland by Default for KDE Plasma Desktop (System-Wide Change)

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 12:57 PM Silvia Sánchez <bhkohane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, I don't see KDE Wayland sufficiently mature to actually work as a default.  It needs more work and testing.
>
> On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 18:33, Robert-André Mauchin <zebob.m@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Please no, KWin Wayland makes my system crash as soon as I connect my second
>> screen, and does not support essential functions like Kwin scripting, make
>> Yakuake look terrible and the whole stuff feels buggy as hell.
>> Every time I used it thes past years, it felt buggy and in an unfinished
>> state, it was like being the tester of an alpha version.

A lot of work has gone into solidifying the experience upstream, and
I'm currently running Plasma 5.18.5 on F32 (on Intel GPU system) and
Plasma 5.19.5 on F33 (on NVIDIA GPU system) and things are working
pretty well so far. The plan is to do the switch in Rawhide early and
work with KDE upstream to knock out the remaining issues to offer a
solid experience with the Plasma release we ship with Fedora 34 GA.
Based on the timelines, we're probably looking at 5.22 for F34 GA, but
I want to make the switch as part of importing the 5.20 beta next week
and give feedback ASAP.

The problem with the current situation is that if we *don't* do this,
there's no pressure to push things forward upstream and get everything
*working*. Doing this will force focus and priority to get everything
working. This strategy was employed to get GNOME Wayland in good shape
and we're in a better place now than GNOME was when the switch was
made in Fedora 25.