About the Future of Communishift

Good Morning Everyone,

I wanted to share with you some information regarding the current
state and future of Communishift. The infrastructure team presented on
this project back in 2019 during Nest [1] [2], and since then, we have
deployed it, started using it and had to shut it down for
the colo-move.

As a number of people have noted, it has not come back up yet, and
during Nest this year, we had hinted that communishift is not going to
come back alive looking
the same as when we shut it down, and that is unfortunately true.

The idea for communishift was to give to anyone in the community a place where
they could run any application they wish to provide to the community.
This was a proper place where Joe and Jane could offer the service foo to the
foo SIG without engaging the infrastructure's team responsibility to keep the
service up and running. The infrastructure team would have been able to say:
"well the openshift cluster is running, so if the app isn't, talk to the
application maintainer, there is nothing we can do about it".

Basically, it gave a place where we could experiment with new apps
without adding too
much work to the infrastructure team.

However, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) [3] and the California
Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) [4] basically makes the Fedora Infrastructure team
(and thus Red Hat) responsible for the content hosted by any services running in
our infrastructure. In other words, the Fedora Infrastructure team would be
responsible to answer all GDPR/CCPA related requests and requirements for any
and all services running in communishift (services that the team has 0 knowledge
about, that's the whole goal of communishift).

For these reasons communishift is not going to come back to life in the same way
it was shut down for the colo move.

We have not given up on the original idea though (ie: providing a place where
community members can deploy applications without adding work on the
infrastructure team), however, as with anything involving legal, this is going
to be a slow process. We will share any information as soon as we are able.

We're sorry for the inconvenience this causes, we really would like the
situation to be different but we also appreciate these regulations for what they
are (protecting our personal information) so we want to respect them.

Hoping this clarifies the situation around communishift a bit.

Aoife, Kevin & Pingou
  - On behalf of the Fedora Infrastructure team

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructue/Communishift
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phCHilTEQb4&list=PL0x39xti0_64C75dRUuwlXlfYRgjgdEP4&index=8&t=0s
[3] https://gdpr-info.eu/
[4] https://www.oag.ca.gov/privacy/ccpa