Re: Fwd: Re: CppunitTest_sw_htmlexport failing due to zlib variation?

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 9:05 pm, Adenilson Cavalcanti <cavalcantii@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My recommendation today is to just use Chromium's zlib directly since that won't require maintaining patches and you will keep in sync with future optimizations and security fixes.

Hi Adenilson!

I recall watching one of your presentations on your zlib optimizations at the Web Engines Hackfest three years ago. I was wondering then why your improvements were not accepted upstream... well, I see now that upstream has no commits since January 2017 [1], and that pull requests there are not receiving any response from upstream, much less a review. [2] seems to indicate that you eventually managed to get in touch with upstream? But I also see at that you attempted to post patches there a month later, and still didn't receive any response. So it seems clear that current upstream is gone.

I don't think switching to Chromium's zlib [3] is a very practical option, though, since your source repo appears to be the Chromium source repo, since it uses gn build system, since there do not appear to be releases independent of Chromium, and since it does not appear to be maintained with the expectation that it will be installed as an ABI-stable systemwide shared library.

Do you have any opinion on zlib-ng [4]? If nothing else, it appears to be easier to contribute to.

Whatever we choose to do for Fedora, let's coordinate with Debian as well so that we have a standard solution for all distros, rather than winding up with different forks of zlib in different distros.

Michael

[1] https://github.com/madler/zlib
[2] http://madler.net/pipermail/zlib-devel_madler.net/2019-December/003308.html
[3]https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src.git/+/281260d0414a12d88dc2fb102ff4ad86df3e2b32/third_party/zlib/