Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: systemd-resolved

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 3:34 AM Roberto Ragusa <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2020-09-01 08:52, John M. Harris Jr wrote:

> >> Big Brother will be happy. :-)
> >
> > Sure, those two companies will be thrilled, I'm sure. This is a huge
> > disservice to our users. Why in the world does systemd try to force DNS
> > servers when none are configured? If no DNS servers are configured, there
> > should be no DNS servers in use.
>
> Standard DNS has a hierarchical structure with roots and delegation.
> The idea of asking somebody to do DNS resolution for you comes from the widespread
> tendency to centralize everything (i.e. inability to understand how the Internet was
> originally designed).

Hiding it inside yet another systemd structure without following the
existing standards is, sadly, typical of systemd. It also puts at risk
restricted environments where providing no DNS is deliberately used to
restrict outbound network use, such as virtual machines or chroot
cages without an enabled /etc/resolv.conf. That includes the "mock"
build environment where "pip install" is kept network disabled by the
lack of DNS. It will also completely screw up VPN setups where
out-of-band DNS servers break internal versus external service access
management.

> Insisting on using a DNS server for name resolution is like insisting on using a proxy
> for HTTP access.

It's secretly cooking the fries in bacon grease. It not only offends
people such as vegetarians, Muslims, and Jews but it creates an
unnecessary health risk for people with the "Alpha-Gal" meat allergy.