Re: Btrfs by default status updates, 2020-08-23

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 12:29 PM Brandon Nielsen <nielsenb@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 8/23/20 10:24 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> [Snip]
> > -----
> >
> > Communication:
> >
> > + Fedora Magazine article "Btrfs Coming to Fedora 33" will be
> > published Monday, 24 August.
> > -----
> >
> > Documentation:
> >
> > + A partial list of docs needing updates
> > https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/issue/158#comment-672898
> > https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/docs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/R5LKDK42VAIVSKC4NCLIMJCUKJRFGAO5/
> >
> > Assistance in updating is appreciated, but in particular it'd be most
> > helpful to find additional weak spots that have not yet been
> > identified.
> >

> Will either of the above cover preserving home directories between
> installs[0]?

Yes. Since that implies a clean install, I expect that's more F34 time
frame. Most anyone using Btrfs already up to this point in F31/32
likely knows how to reuse /home in the installer, should they wish to
do a clean install for F33. It might get done much sooner but in the
interest of prioritization I'd say this is perhaps lower priority than
getting the documentation generally updated so it's not wrong.

I'm pondering the idea of making things like this into ~2 minute (max)
videos so folks can see it being done and listen to a running
commentary that pretty much doesn't work at all in documentation. But
I'm open to ideas on the usefulness of this, we don't have a location
for video based documentation that I'm aware of. This is one way I've
thought of to build up documentation fairly quickly. But obviously
they aren't easily updated, it's a complete retake, typically. But at
2 minutes or less, not a big deal. The hard part is sticking to the
time limit. Anything longer, in my experience, means the topic isn't
properly constrained. And the viewers eyes are at risk of glazing
over. :D

We could put such things of high usefulness on the intended Fedora
Btrfs landing page: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Btrfs which
obviously right now is stale. But the idea is to repurpose that into
an ordered list of useful links: feature proposal, fedora-btrfs pagure
project, specific quick docs, FAQ, and so on.

--
Chris Murphy