Re: java-1.4.2-gcj-compat uninstalls sun jre

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
On Mer 27 avril 2005 5:00, djh a écrit :

We really can't ship FC4 in such a way that Sun's jre (which is feature complete today) is uninstalled seemingly without warning when gcj is not complete yet.

It's not just the Provides: jre causing the problem.  The Sun JDK/JRE
rpms have a Provides: xml-commons-apis.  Upgrading the Fedora
xml-commons-apis rpm uninstalls the Sun rpms too.

All the various jvm packages need to have more or less the same provides
or you can't switch them at will.

The problem with Sun packages is they never tried to work with anyone to
make sure their stuff works (for example they added the xml-commons
provides without putting the associated jar in a place our scripts can
find it, so not installing a separate commons implementation will get you
errors at tomcat startup)

Hmm, sounds like we have no options for flexibility here.

I wonder if it would be legal for us to ship a "install-sun-java" script with Fedora that downloads their java tarballl, runs the binary (so the user has to type "yes"), repackages it and spits out a jpackage RPM. This would be simpler for documentation and would steer people away from their problematic RPM. And yes I'm serious about this if it would be legal.

Only thing I don't know is if this would conflict with our native open source java.

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx