Re: EarlyOOM +ZRAM Only

On 8/14/20 7:33 AM, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 1:16:34 PM MST Przemek Klosowski via devel
wrote:

This is weird---your swap was 100% full, and ram almost full, and yet
killing 4GB VirtualBox didn't seem to free up memory. I suspect some
sort of measurement or reporting error---if these numbers were accurate,
EarlyOOM did have a reason to panic and kill zoom. BTW, zoom taking 721
MiB is crazy.

Are you kidding? The system still had over a quarter of a gigabyte of free
RAM. There's no reason to start killing off processes at that point. That's
tons of free memory. To put that into perspective, that's enough free memory
to store over 1000 average-length novels directly in memory.

When the swap is 100% full, it is not like you have a bunch of processes neatly stored in it, and some free memory available---you have a mess of partly swapped out processes reading back their pages from swap and pushing other processes' RAM pages onto the fragmented swap, when they are trying to run.

This is the worst case of disk usage, and as we discussed before, the transfer speeds for such traffic will be hundreds/thousands times slower---I would expect latencies going into tens of seconds. So, no, I am not kidding.