Re: [ELN] bpeck/jenkins-continuous-infra.apps.ci.centos.org's vtk-8.2.0-18.eln103 failed to build

On 8/6/20 3:26 AM, Aleksandra Fedorova wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 5:01 AM Orion Poplawski <orion@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

So, I'm getting one of these messages every couple of hours and I'd
really rather not.  Who do I need to talk to about it?

You can talk about it with the ELN SIG [1] or Fedora CI SIG [2]. Mail
thread on devel works, we recommend to use [ELN] as a tag in the
subject, but this works too.

So let me explain first what is going on, and then what we are going
to do about it.

1) Why do you get the message?

We don't send messages to you or anyone directly. We trigger koji
builds for packages which are considered part of the ELN buildroot.

Sorry, but this is a bit like saying we don't splash you with water, we just throw a rock in that lake you are standing next to :)

2) Why do you get them so often?

The goal of the ELN is to contain exactly the same versions of the
packages which were built for Rawhide.

To achieve that goal we have automation, which rebuilds Rawhide
packages for the ELN buildroot. This automation is triggered when a
new package is tagged to f33 koji tag.
Thus ideally you would get just one eln-related message per package update.

Now, as Fedora Mass Rebuild happened over the weekend, there was a
mass retagging event, which automation couldn't process at once. And
we got the backlog of 3500 packages, which we need to rebuild for eln.

To not overload koji, rather than sending all of these packages to be
built at once, we added a background process, which regularly chooses
some random packages from the backlog and sends it to koji.

With this helper script in three days we managed to reduce the backlog
to 190 packages, and then, with some additional filtering, to 40. So
now we have about 40 packages and the script which chooses random
packages from the list hits you package again and again. Sorry for
that.

Okay, glad to hear that this was hopefully a one-time thing. The frequency was a bit much.

3) What can you do about it?

Option 3: Join the ELN effort :)

In general as a big EPEL user/packager I'm more than happy to help with the ELN effort. Again, was just concerned that this was going to be the norm.

FWIW - It seems to fail because of missing deps:

DEBUG util.py:621:  No matching package to install: 'cmake(Qt5)'
DEBUG util.py:621:  No matching package to install: 'cmake(Qt5X11Extras)'

Thanks for looking at it.

Afaik we have qt5-5.14.2-4.eln103 in the eln buildroot, so it is not
clear for me why this dependency resolution fails, but we will look
into it.

It looks to me like the cmake automatic rpm provides generator is failing for some reason. Compare the provides from the qt5-qtbase ELN build to the Fedora one.

Thanks,

    Orion

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/ELN
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/CI
[3] https://apps.fedoraproject.org/notifications
[4] https://pagure.io/releng/issue/9619
[5] https://hopin.to/events/nest-with-fedora#schedule

--
Orion Poplawski
Manager of NWRA Technical Systems          720-772-5637