Switching package to fragmented default configuration

I'm considering to split the default configuration file in the chrony
package to make it easier for vendors, products, and configuration
tools to override some specific settings (like the default NTP
servers) by dropping a file into a directory, instead of having to
modify a packaged config file. It seems to be a modern trend, used
by many packages in Fedora, and I have received some RFEs to adopt
in chrony.

The default /etc/chrony.conf would just have a single directive
/var/lib/chrony.d (and maybe also /var/run/chrony.d).

My concern is that it will basically break all existing tools that
need to check and/or modify the configuration (e.g. anaconda). They
will need to know the naming of the files which have specific settings
in order to override them, or implement a parser duplicating the
chronyd logic to figure out which files are loaded from where. Also,
I'm not sure how user-friendly this is for regular users who modify
the configuration manually.

Are there any recommendations for switching an existing single-config
package to a fully fragmented configuration? Is it worth the trouble,
or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

--
Miroslav Lichvar