Re: %{_vpath_builddir} needs to be in the Cmake packaging guidelines

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 11:45 PM Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sometimes you need to get into the build directory, in my case for OpenColorIO I use help2man to generate some of the man pages.
>
> I had to rely on the power of Google/Gmail to find Neal's response to one of my earlier emails to find the answer again...
>
> %{_vpath_builddir}
>
> But that begs the question, now that we have updated %cmake, and new %cmake_build & %cmake_install, why is it %_vpath_builddir and not %_cmake_builddir?

Because the VPATH macros are intended to be build-tool-agnostic
settings for source and build directories. %_vpath_builddir controls
where the build directory will be, and can be customized if needed
easily enough.

These macros are used by both CMake and Meson now, and the goal is to
use this infrastructure with other build tools as we're able to.

If you need to do things specifically in that directory, the macro is
a reliable way of accessing it.