Re: Can we use emulation of other architectures to run integration tests?

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 11:46:08AM -0400, Robbie Harwood wrote:
> Aleksandra Fedorova <alpha@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > As COPR has recently got support for s390 builds, the question is: if
> > emulation is good enough for building packages, can we use it for
> > testing? What are the limitations there? Is it worth it?
>
> Cross-architecture emulation is unbelievably slow in the general case.
> While it helps for some specific use cases, it's not a substitute for
> actually getting hardware.

Since qemu TCG now supports host thread per vCPU you can usually throw
lots of vCPUs at the problem, assuming your builds can be parallelised
and your x86 hardware has plenty of cores.

We use it reasonably successfully to build a lot of Fedora/RISC-V
packages, along with a limited amount of actual hardware.

Rich.

https://wiki.qemu.org/Features/tcg-multithread

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW