Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: systemd-resolved

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 9:07 AM Simo Sorce <simo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 2020-07-26 at 21:06 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 6:15 pm, John M. Harris Jr
> > <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Please do not disable reading from /etc/resolv.conf. If you do so,
> > > please
> > > limit that to the Spins that it won't affect people on, such as
> > > Workstation,
> > > if you believe people there don't set their own DNS servers.
> >
> > Except:
> >
> >  * /etc/resolv.conf is broken by design, as you would know if you read
> > the section on split DNS that you just quoted
> >  * There's no value in reading from /etc/resolv.conf unless you have
> > written something custom to it
> >  * /etc/resolv.conf is managed by NetworkManager in Fedora, so you
> > cannot safely write to it anyway in our default configuration
> >
> > Fact is that unless you have done custom work to allow manual
> > modifications to /etc/resolv.conf, you're not going to notice this
> > change at all. And if you have, then surely you'll be able to figure
> > out the very, very simple steps to get back to the original behavior.
> > In fact, it should actually be *easier* than before to get traditional
> > behavior. Remove the symlink. Create your own /etc/resolv.conf. Hey
> > presto! systemd will read it....
>
> Sorry Michael,
> but there are truckloads of programs that read resolv.conf directly, if
> all this change is doing is moving the file elsewhere but providing the
> same data in it, fine. If it is removing the pointers to DNS servers
> this change is absolutely not something you can do covertly in an
> update, it *will* be seen, but normal users will have a hard time
> figuring out what broke in the first place, let alone figure out how to
> resolve it (pun intended :).
>
> Moreover if glibc is changed to use a different resolver then why
> change resolv.conf away? Only non-glibc querying programs would use it,
> and they intentionally do so anyway. Case in point one of the core
> components of the identity system in Fedora (SSSD) MUST be able to
> query directly DNS in scenarios were it is joined to an AD or IPA
> domain. Because it queries for stuff like SRV and TXT records
> concurrently (we use an async library) and needs to see those fields,
> as well as receive multiple IP addresses in order to set up fallbacks.
>
> Please do not break DNS this way, if you really want to force
> everything through a single system resolver (I think that is a worthy
> goal) then it needs to be a thing that speaks DNS on UDP port 53 on
> 127.0.0.X and that address needs to be in resolv.conf as the nameserver
> address.
>
> Any other "solution" will just break a bunch of stuff unnecessarily.

That *is* what will happen. In this scenario, systemd-resolved creates
a file in /run that is populated with the required information for
applications to request name resolution from resolved through the
standard DNS protocol. The /etc/resolv.conf file becomes a symlink to
the file in /run so that the file in /etc is stable and regenerating
the file in /run won't cause issues for package management. This
system has been in use *already* for a while now in other
distributions (see Debian and resolvconf(8), which systemd-resolved
replaced in Ubuntu).

The only thing this mechanism breaks is applications trying to *write*
to the resolv.conf file, because systemd-resolved will just blow away
those changes right after. If you want to modify DNS settings, you
need to configure systemd-resolved itself, either through
NetworkManager (as we will recommend) or directly through
systemd-resolved's configuration interface (if not using NetworkManager).