Re: The case of LTO when produced enlarged binaries

On Fri, 2020-07-24 at 19:12 +0000, Artem Tim wrote:
> Hi. In rare cases building packages with LTO producing binaries or libraries which have bigger size then if they have built without LTO. For example 'kitty' package:
>
> * with LTO:
>   - koji task https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=47762998
>     1.79 MB glfw-wayland.so
>     1.99 MB glfw-x11.so
>     4.78 MB fast_data_types.so
>     8.56 MB total
>
> * no LTO
>   - koji https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=47769854
>     1.65 MB glfw-wayland.so
>     1.84 MB glfw-x11.so
>     4.51 MB fast_data_types.so
>     8.00 MB total
>
> Difference is 7%. What we should do in such case? Should we disable LTO for such packages? Or there is still could be gains from faster code execution speed?
I'd tend to leave LTO on, but it's totally your call.  Without looking at the
binaries, sources and compiler dumps I'd hazard a guess you're getting a lot of
cross module inlining, but very little identical code folding.  THe former tends
to make things bigger, but faster.  The latter tends to shrink code with little
impact on runtime performance.

Unfortunately comparing this stuff in an LTO world is much harder than in a non-
LTO world.  You can't just bisect it to a .o or function that's larger :(

jeff