Re: Enable EarlyOOM on Fedora KDE - Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal

On 7/18/20 5:09 PM, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
On Saturday, July 18, 2020 3:25:35 AM MST Benjamin Berg wrote:
<Snip>

But thrashing scenarios are exactly that, *technically* running but
*practically* dead.

Thrashing doesn't mean the system is unusable, or anything of the sort. It's
only an issue if you're thrashing for too long.

I think it only makes sense to continue a discussion if you acknowledge
the existence and really understand the scenario described here:
   https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/8/4/15

I've linked to that very thread several times in this thread. The bug here is
in the web browsers that cause that behavior. The solution is to either fix
the web browsers or limit the amount of memory they can run away with.

What about the case of the developer whose code accidentally does something that blows through all available memory, leading to swap thrashing. I've been there. The system is very much unusable, to the point where a user without the knowledge of the magic sysrq key will almost certainly be reaching for the power button.

Or when a compile takes more memory than you expect, leading to the same? Again, I've been there. The system is absolutely unusable for any regular user use-case I can think of.

Decompression "bomb" (malicious or otherwise) on a memory taxed system? Again, definitely unusable.

Web browsers are definitely not the only way thrashing can be encountered. While I agree resource limits via cgroups or other method are needed, an EarlyOOM emergency brake is definitely welcome as well. The kernel OOM killer is certainly not adequate for an interactive user session in my experience.