Re: FlexiBLAS as BLAS/LAPACK manager - Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal

[I found I hadn't sent this earlier, as I should have.]

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/FlexiBLAS_as_BLAS/LAPACK_manager
>
> == Summary ==
> BLAS/LAPACK packages will be compiled against the FlexiBLAS wrapper
> library, which will set OpenBLAS as system-wide default backend, and
> at the same time will provide a proper switching mechanism that
> currently Fedora lacks.

I oppose this (in favour of a different approach) from experience in
research computing system management, general support, and
implementation.  It doesn't solve any problem I (have) had, as far as I
can tell, and looks as if it produces more.  The licence seems to me to
rule it out a priori.

The proposal doesn't justify things, including its dismissal of the
simple, clean alternative in similar to Debian's, with which I have some
experience.  (I don't know what the environment modules alternative is,
since that's one way of specifying the late binding.)  BLAS isn't alone
in presenting a substitute interface like that.  It works well with a
heterogeneous HPC cluster where you want different BLAS implementations
on different nodes (think KNL, A64FX).

There will be hoops to jump through to get packages to configure when
they don't know about the library.  If I want to use a library that's
not included, I'm in the same position.  It's not clear to me a priori
what happens if you try to use just BLIS even, given that OpenBLAS'
LAPACK implementation isn't the vanilla one, and depends on OpenBLAS as
far as I know.  The choice of OpenBLAS isn't justified.  It's not even
obvious that you want the same implementation for serial and
multi-threaded as OpenBLAS seems to have had continual problems with
threading which BLIS hasn't as far as I know.  I expect OpenBLAS is the
best serial option on average, at least, but that needs data for
different architectures.

Profiling is listed as a feature, but I wouldn't want a LA-specific
profiler rather than a more general one.  (Scorep on el7 currently
doesn't do that for want of a suitable clang (or LLVM?) component to do
the library wrapping, but it could.)

I realize no-one is going to be running Fedora on HPC systems, where
this really matters, but presumably it filters down to RHEL, which is
looking less and less like a good HPC platform to me.