Re: if we want to advocate btrfs

On Sat, 2020-07-11 at 12:05 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> I think if we really want to advocate for btrfs, we also should
> provide the
> tools to take full advantage of it.  I've been using btrfs since it
> was
> offered as an option on Fedora.  On Ubuntu, there is a tool "snapper"
> help manage snapshots.  Unfortunately I didn't manage to get this
> setup on
> Fedora.  A tool like this would really enhance the btrfs experience,
> believe.

That's certainly a good point; I believe this might be coming next if
the current Change proposal makes it to the final release, but we don't
want to to take on too many changes at once.

Some tools like snapper only need to be adapted, but if we want, e.g.,
good integration with desktop environments like GNOME and KDE, it might
be easier to make that investment knowing the filesystem is already the
new default and we're committed to keeping it the default.

I, for one, would like to see something like Timeslider for btrfs
(OpenSolaris Desktop / "Java" (sic) Desktop System used to have it) -
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Autosnap#Timeslider

Thanks,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim