Re: Reserve resources for active users (Workstation) - Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal

On Sat, 2020-07-11 at 10:33 +0200, Benjamin Berg wrote:
> On Sat, 2020-07-11 at 08:43 +0200, Igor Raits wrote:
> > On Fri, 2020-07-10 at 15:55 -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > >
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Reserve_resources_for_active_user_WS
> > >
> > > == Summary ==
> > > This proposal adds cgroup based resource protections for the
> > > active
> > > graphical session. This is done by passing a memory protection of
> > > 250MiB to active users (capped at 10% of system memory) and by
> > > enabling other cgroup controllers (CPU, IO) to ensure important
> > > session processes get the resources they need.
> >
> > Just curious, why 250MiB and not some other number?
>
> Initially, it was an educated guess (i.e. it seemed low enough to be
> reasonable and high enough to be useful).
>
> I then continued to do a bit of experimentation and found that my
> gnome-shell would stop page-faulting quite a lot if I gave the
> session
> processes >=350MiB of memory (measured by manually setting memory.max
> and using "perf trace -F -p X").
>
> Tejun suggests it is sufficient to protect around 50-75% of the
> required memory, so 250MiB still seemed like a reasonable value after
> those tests.
>
> Note that it is easy to change, simpliy modify /etc/uresourced.conf
> (and, ideally reboot to ensure it is properly applied to your user
> session).

Thanks for detailed answer!

> > > See: https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/issue/154
> > >
> > > == Owner ==
> > > * Name: [[User:benzea|Benjamin Berg]]
> > > * Email: bberg@xxxxxxxxxx
> > > * Product: Workstation
> > > * Responsible WG: Workstation
> > >

> > > == Detailed Description ==
> > > Graphical sessions should always be responsive, even when the
> > > machine
> > > is doing a lot work or in the extreme case has started to thrash.
> > > We
> > > have started to ship EarlyOOM with F32, however, while it is a
> > > good
> > > solution to this date, it is shipped with the understanding of
> > > being
> > > superseded by other approaches in the future.
> >
> > Does it mean we do not ship earlyoom anymore or what is this
> > sentence
> > supposed to indicate?
>
> EarlyOOM is still very useful today. However, from my point of view,
> EarlyOOM is just an intermediate measure until a more advanced
> solution
> is implemented and can be rolled out to users. This solution will be
> based on oomd (or rather systemd-oomd) and will make heavy use of
> cgroups to work well.

My question was more targeted whether we are not going to ship anymore
earlyoom by default with this change or will they be both shipped at
thie moment until something better is ready?

> This is a longer path, shipping uresourced puts us a step further
> down
> that road.
>
> > [SNIP]
>
> Benjamin