Re: Btrfs by default, the compression option

On Wednesday, July 8, 2020 1:10:12 AM MST Kamil Paral wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 8:26 AM Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > D. Which directories? Some may be outside of the installer's scope.
> >
> > /usr
> > /var/lib/flatpak
> > ~/.local/share/flatpak
>
> I have a concern regarding games. Currently, we have a few a bit more
> demanding titles on Flathub already, like 0AD, Xonotic or Albion Online. In
> the glorious future (tm) we might get more. Games are very sensitive to
> available CPU cycles and context switching and usually come with their data
> files already compressed. Including the btrfs compression by default on
> flatpak dirs could lead to lowered performance whenever the game tries to
> load some assets (older titles do that during the loading screen, newer
> titles stream new assets constantly during gameplay and any slowdown
> manifests as game stuttering).

Flatpack stuff aside, we have games like 0AD, Xonotic, Albion and others in
the repos as well, where compression should not be used.

Also, just wondering, how are you planning to enable compression on an unknown
user's home directory? As a modification to the homedir helper?

--
John M. Harris, Jr.