Re: Using "rawhide" for the dist-git branch for Fedora Rawhide

On Wed, Jul 08, 2020 at 10:09:35AM -0400, Kaleb Keithley wrote:
>    Whatever name is picked: devel, main, rawhide, next, etc.,  how about
>    setting the default branch.
>    E.g. `git symbolic-ref HEAD refs/heads/rawhide`
>    This way when someone clones the repo they don't need to know or remember
>    which name Fedora is using as the mainline development branch.

That is easy to do, already supported by our forge and I am definitely +1 on
this.

One wonder which I have is: should we keep a "master" branch, just as a symlink
to the "rawhide" one for backward compatibility purposes?

>    On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 9:57 AM Miro Hrončok <[1]mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx>
>    wrote:
>
>      On 08. 07. 20 15:48, Till Maas wrote:
>      > On Tue, Jul 07, 2020 at 09:03:19PM +0200, Till Maas wrote:
>      >> Hi,
>      >>
>      >> in [2]https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2410 I proposed to name the
>      dist-git
>      >> branch for Fedora Rawhide "rawhide" to clarify the purpose of that
>      >> branch. There was also some feedback that Rawhide might not be the
>      best
>      >> name and it could be renamed. In that case, the branch could be named
>      as
>      >> this. This is just the first step to check if there is enough support
>      >> for this to move forward. The next step would be to start a change
>      >> process.
>      >
>      > Just had another idea, how about instead of branch down from the
>      rawhide
>      > branch to new branched to make Rawhide always use the fxy version that
>      > it develops. So instead of creating branched f33 later we would rename
>      > master to f33 now and then once we need to branch we branch of Rawhide
>      > as f34? There could still be a symbolic ref called rawhide for the
>      > latest rawhide for convenience. What do you think?
>
>      I like that idea. However IMHO packagers tend to forget about branching
>      if they
>      are not following Fedora development closely.
>
>      When they do that now, they still do changes in rawhide and they might
>      not
>      update their package in branched -- however in long term, this does not
>      matter
>      because their change is in all future versions.
>
>      When they do that after this, their change will be in branched but not
>      in
>      rawhide and in the long term, it will be lost.

Having a "rawhide" symlink to whatever is the current FXX rawhide *may* solve
this, if and only if they work on that rawhie branch, if they do not, the risk
you are pointing is real and would trigger potentially more upgrade path break.

Pierre