Re: Can we do away with release and changelog bumping?

On Monday, July 6, 2020 10:19:31 AM CEST Adam Saleh wrote:
> Piere (a.k.a Pingou), Nils and me worked on Rpmautospec [1] to solve this
> problem few months ago.
> It is a koji plugin as well as CLI tool that makes bumping the release
> field and generating changelog problem of Koji,
> instead of package-maintainer. Currently it sits deployed in staging koji,
> so you can give it a test-drive :-)
>
> We hope we can return to it later this year, to have it deployed in prod
> koji.

+1 to what Florian proposes over rpmautospec, though.  I think bumping the
release flag is the bare minimal technical change that is needed (except that
bodhi should pre-fill the description by diffs from %changelogs).

I before stated my opinion that I don't like the generated %changelog
idea.  Fedora git changelog and `rpm --changelog` are two different
things.  Mixing them up will bring more costs than savings (fixing
mistakes in git commit messages retrospectively).  Or in other extreme the
ugly `rpm --changelog` output (people don't care they mistakenly provided
broken git commit message).

I think that it would be just enough to allow people to stop producing
`rpm --changelog`s if they think that it so awful amount of work (both
better than more expensive %changelog variant, or ugly variant).  Let's
allow packagers to specify something like:

    %changelog
    * there's no package metadata in changelog

Or in the worst case, automatize:

    * there's no package metadata in changelog
    - check %_pkgdocdir/fedora-git-changelog file

I'm not saying that we can not see every proposed approach in action as
opt-in.  But, IMVHO, we are wasting to much efforts time here that could
be spent on our content served to our users instead (== I mean the overall
%changelog quality).

Pavel