Re: The future of legacy BIOS support in Fedora.

Hi,

On 7/6/20 9:36 PM, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
On Monday, July 6, 2020 5:51:40 AM MST Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
Image boots in both uefi (sd-boot) and bios (grub2) mode, and the config
file for the latter is so short that I can include it here without
hitting the mailing list size limit ;)

------------------------------ cut here ------------------------------
function load_video {
insmod all_video
}

insmod part_gpt
insmod fat
insmod serial
insmod terminal
insmod blscfg

serial --unit=0 --speed=115200
terminal_output console serial
terminal_input console serial

set boot='hd0,gpt2'
set timeout=3
blscfg
------------------------------ cut here ------------------------------

Does that actually include the drivers necessary to use your keyboard?
Somebody pointed out to me, in private, that the drivers for their keyboard
weren't loaded in the current Workstation GRUB2 config.

UEFI grub uses the EFI provided keyboard drivers, if the keyboard
does not work in grub then that someone likely has "fastboot" enabled
in his BIOS and he has a BIOS which skips all USB device setup when
this is enabled.

UEFI firmware which supports some form of fastboot is supposed to delay
scanning the USB bus until we ask for input (and we currently always
ask for input) but many BIOS-es do not delay, but instead entirely skip,
scanning the USB bus when their fastboot or equivalent option is on.

Regards,

Hans