Re: FlexiBLAS as BLAS/LAPACK manager - Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 20:16:36 +0200
Iñaki Ucar <iucar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > No, this is exactly the wrong way around. You should use the serial
> > library for code that you want to be running in serial (this way you
> > can get several instances of the program running efficiently), and
> > the pthreads version if you want to run the BLAS/LAPACK regions in
> > parallel (but are somehow opposed to OpenMP!)..
>
> I think I'm more confused than before. :D
>
> > > The question of the default is a hard one.  What happens if a
> > > multithreaded application that does not use OpenMP is linked with
> > > the OpenMP build of OpenBLAS?
> >
> > Then you get too much parallellism, i.e. every call to OpenBLAS will
> > launch several threads, and this will naturally ruin your scaling.
>
> So would you say that openblas-serial is the most sensible
> system-wide default?

THERE SHOULD BE NO SYSTEM-WIDE DEFAULT.

The thing is that the maintainer needs to be able to pick the correct
flavor. If you use the wrong one, you may seriously handicap
performance.

But, if one *needs* a system-wide default, in my opinion it
should be the OpenMP version, since it plays well together with both
sequential and OpenMP parallel programs.
--
Susi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor