Re: Better Thermal Management for the Workstation - Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal

So the last two times thermald was proposed (first as a F32 change proposal, then more recently to the Workstation WG) it was rejected on the grounds that it was not useful without dptfxtract installed. Now it's clear that everybody was mistaken about that, so seems it makes sense to reconsider.

I have a couple questions. First, why is thermal management occurring in userspace? Can you please provide a technical explanation as to why the kernel is not the right place for this code?