Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make nano the default editor

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 10:54:46 AM CEST Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 01, 2020 at 09:44:12AM +0200, Kamil Dudka wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, June 30, 2020 9:16:40 PM CEST Robert-André Mauchin wrote:
> >
> > > May I suggest another option?
> > > I provide a package for Micro, an editor written in Go with a
> > > discoverable
> interface. https://micro-editor.github.io/
> > >
> > > It is compiled as a static binary of 4.6 MB with no dependency.
> >

> > How does it fit in Fedora, where dynamic linking is preferred?
> >

> > > Probably bigger than nano, but it's nicer overall,
> >

> > So you like it more than nano.  Could you be more specific about what
> > "nicer"
> means to others in this context?
> >

> > > with mouse support
> >

> > nano also has mouse support.  It can be enabled by --mouse.
>

> Cool! Can this be included in the proposal? Can nano be made to use --mouse
> by default so it doesn't have to be specified on every invocation?
> Zbyszek

Technically we are able to make the change in /etc/nanorc which is customized
for Fedora already.  But there is a reason why it is not enabled by default:
The mouse handling in nano takes precedence over mouse handling in terminal,
which some users (including me) rely on.  Neither vim has the mouse support
enabled in its default configuration.  This might be better to discuss at
the upstream mailing list.  Using fundamentally different configuration of
nano might be disturbing for users that switch between Linux distributions.

Kamil