Re: The future of legacy BIOS support in Fedora.

On 6/30/20 11:38 AM, Tom Seewald wrote:
> The primary areas of concern I have about Fedora dropping grub2 and BIOS boot support are:

nicely summarized.

> 4. Support documentation for sd-boot
>
> Would this result in changes to how users access the boot menu, select a boot entry, or edit the kernel command line, etc? These actions of course aren't expected to be common but when they are needed it tends to be when a user is already experiencing problems and is under stress. Therefore if there are changes, hopefully these will be clearly documented to avoid confusion.

Is this proposed dropping of grub only for 'desktop' Fedora?
 iiuc, server/workstation instances share the same underpinnings?

For server/workstation, "access the boot menu, select a boot entry, or edit the kernel command line" are certainly NOT _uncommon_.

Very often, particularly when tracking closely with upstream latest releases, they're very often _necessary_.

re: sd-boot docs, grub -- for both BIOS & UEFI -- has available encyclopedic & thorough documentation.

its configs are also wonderfully portable.  including/across the countless other distros that (will) continue to use/support it.

*dropping* grub for the next bright-n-shiny seems to make little sense.  *adding* "sd-boot" (tbh, i've never come across an instance of it in use. anywhere.), and support *both* -- whether or not it's 'bloat -- doesn't make much sense either.